Friday, January 11, 2008

Advocacy 101 Workshop

Suzette works on her "elevator speech" for an advocacy workshop we had at our Center. Suzette is one of my partners in practice, a Physician Assistant with a compassionate heart.

An "elevator speech" is a short list of "talking points" that you can use to tell your story in the short time of an elevator ride. Mine goes something like:

"I'm a family physician.I work at a Health Center, which is a private not-for-profit medical and dental practice owned by the community and run by a volunteer Board of Directors, the majority of which are patients we serve. The community started our Center twenty years ago, with the mission of seeing patients who can't find care elsewhere. I work there because I think that access to health care is a right of every human being."

What's your "elevator speech"? Why do you do what you do?


Advocacy 101 Workshop
Originally uploaded by Doug Felts

No comments: